Iris Eytan of Eytan Law LLC is one of the leading Colorado lawyers practicing in high-profile criminal defense litigation. She is well known as an aggressive Denver lawyer and for her unrelenting pursuit of justice.
As a highly experienced Colorado criminal defense attorney, Iris has brought more than 60 cases to trial. She has also obtained nearly impossible results in high stakes cases. In April 2022, in People v. Barry Morphew, she obtained a dismissal of the wrongful and false charge against Mr. Morphew of Murder in the 1st Degree. After a year of intensive and complex litigation, Iris and her team uncovered egregious prosecutorial misconduct that resulted in the monumental result.
In 2020, while at Eytan Nielsen, Iris’ tireless work led to the exoneration of Micah Kimball after a two-week jury trial during Covid. Mr. Kimball was falsely accused and charged with Murder in the 1st Degree. In the 10 months leading up to trial, Iris discovered that the Denver prosecutors withheld the expert opinions of both the Deputy Director of the Crime Lab and the Lead Homicide Detective that Mr. Kimball’s fiancé’s single gunshot wound was self- inflicted. The Judge sanctioned the prosecutors for their misconduct.
In 2017, while at Eytan Nielsen, Iris’ work in the jury trial of Tom Fallis caught the attention of the national and international media. Mr. Fallis was wrongfully charged with the murder of his wife. Along with their legal team, Iris secured an acquittal by jury in this highly publicized case.
Iris’ practice is now focused on the aggressive defense and expert consultation of crimes including homicide, serious assault, Title IX disciplinary proceedings, sexual offenses, and sexual violence. Iris is also experienced in handling cases that are under investigation and has successfully convinced the prosecution to drop potential criminal charges against her clients. Iris also has special knowledge of the disciplinary process that male college students face when accused of sexual misconduct.
Iris Eytan is a frequent lecturer, expert and consultant on issues applicable to criminal law and litigation techniques. For many years, Iris has been invited to speak before judges, lawyers, doctors, national conferences, bar associations and universities on these topics.
Iris has a burning desire to work on policy issues related to reforming the criminal legal
system. Iris held one of the most visible volunteer positions in Denver law as the former Chair of the Colorado Lawyers Committee. She was elevated to this position after years of pro bono advocacy and leadership as an Executive Board Member and leader of multiple legal task forces.
Iris recently established a new project, Protect Ethical Prosecutors (PEP), that is pending 501(c)(4) status. PEP’s mission is to elevate ethical prosecutors while reforming laws
around the country that will put a stop to rampant prosecutorial misconduct.
She has received numerous accolades including year after year being in the Best Lawyers in America, being named the Top 100 Lawyers in Colorado’s Super Lawyers, and Top Lawyer in the Above and Beyond in Colorado’s 5280 Magazine. In 2017, Iris Eytan and her former partner, Dru Nielsen, were featured as the cover story of Colorado Super Lawyers magazine. The article was focused on their trial tactics and excellent results in Colorado criminal defense cases.
● University of San Diego, J.D., 1994
● University of Arizona, B.A., with honors, Psychology, 1991
● The Best Lawyers in America, Colorado Criminal Defense: General Practice, Top
Lawyers in America (2020-Present)
● 5280 Top Lawyers (2015-2022)
● Top 50 Women Lawyers in Colorado, Colorado Super Lawyers (2012-Present)
● Colorado Super Lawyer, Colorado Super Lawyers (2006-2007, 2009-Present)
● Best Lawyers in America© – Criminal Defense: General Practice (2011-2022)
● Barrister’s Best “Best Criminal Defense Lawyer” Law Week Colorado (2019-2020)
● Team of the Year (Jail Wait Litigation), Colorado Lawyers Committee (2019)
● Top 100 Lawyers in Colorado, Colorado Super Lawyers (2014-Present)
● Rated 10.0 Superb, Avvo (2013-Present)
● Best Law Firms, Tier 1, Colorado Criminal Defense: White-Collar, US News &
World Report (2016-2023)
● Best Law Firms, Tier 1, Colorado Criminal Defense: General Practice, US News &
World Report (2016-2023)
● Denver’s Top Lawyers, Criminal Law, 5280 Magazine (2015-2021)
● Barrister’s Best People’s Choice, Best Criminal Defense Lawyer,
Law Week Colorado (2020)
● Team of the Year Award, Jail Wait Litigation Team, Colorado
Lawyers Committee (2017, 2019)
● Top 100 Trial Lawyer, American Trial Association
● Top Woman Lawyer, Law Week Colorado (2008)
● AV Rated 5.0, Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review (2005-Present)
● Past Chair Award, Colorado Lawyers Committee (2018)
● Raising the Bar Honoree, Colorado Women’s Bar Association Foundation (2017)
● Award of Special Recognition, Colorado Lawyers Committee (2013)
● Community Contribution Award, Colorado Lawyers Committee (2005)
● Protect Ethical Prosecutors, Founder 2022-
● Colorado Lawyers Committee, Executive Committee 2012-Present
● Colorado Lawyers Committee, Executive Committee, Chair, 2016-2018
● Colorado Lawyers Committee, Co-Chair Criminal Justice/Mental Health Task Force
● Colorado Criminal Defense Bar, Board Member, 2013-2017
● Colorado Women’s Bar Association Member, 2017-present
● National Criminal Defense Forum on Forensic Mental Health & the Law, Co-Chair with NACDL, 2013
● Colorado Criminal Defense Bar Member, 2011-present
● National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2008-present
● 18th Judicial District Mental Health Court Project, Legal Co-Chair, 2008
● Department of Human Services Competency Committee, Legal Task Force, 2006
● Capitol Hill Community Services, Board Member, 2005-present
PRIOR EXPERT TESTIMONY:
● December 2018, Sanchez v. Detectives Duffy and Mykes, 11-CV-01945,
Criminal Defense Expert in Criminal Competency